“Every man, however wise, needs the advice of some sagacious friend In the affairs of life.“ Plautus.
Too many of us treat goal setting the same way. We dream about where we want to go, but we don’t have a map to get there.
What is a map? In essence, the written word. What is the difference between a dream and a goal? Once again, the written word.
Goal setting however is more than simply scribbling down some ideas on a piece of paper. Our goals need to be complete and focused, much like a road map, and that is the purpose behind the rest of this article.
Goals check list
Are my current activities moving me toward my goals?
What could be distracting me from reaching my goals?
Am I making the best use of my time?
What more can I do to move me toward my goals?
Have I written my goals correctly?
Are my goals S.M.E.R.T.I.E.
Tips: Move away from time wasters keep focused and read your goals twice a day You may find that you loose momentum from time to time but this is natural Just re focus and get back on track.
Having A coach is recommended but if you can’t afford one then Get someone to hold you accountable, an accountability partner.
1. Make sure the goal you are working for is something you really want, not just something that sounds good.
2. One goal should not contradict another goal, as that would defeat the objective
3. Life areas to consider when setting goals
Family and Social Financial and Career Spiritual Health Social and Cultural Educational / Personal development
4. Write your goal in the positive instead of the negative. Think bout what you want, not what you want to leave behind. Part of the reason why we write down our goals is to create a set of instructions for our subconscious mind to carry out. The subconscious mind is a very efficient tool, it can not determine right from wrong and it does not judge. It’s only function is to carry out its instructions. The more positive instructions you give it, the more positive results you will get..
5. Write your goal out in complete detail. Using SMERTIE as stated above
6. means, make sure your goals are big enough. Aim for the stars if you miss you will hit the moon.
7. And finally… the Most important.. Take action
Thinking positively in everyday life will help your spiritual growth as a human being. Don’t limit it only to goal setting.